Football fan awarded five-figure payout from police after wrongful arrest in FIVE-YEAR battle for justice

Mark Wynn launched civil proceedings against West Midlands Police following his arrest during the game against Derby County at the Ricoh Arena



A Coventry City fan has won a five-figure settlement from West Midlands Police after he was arrested at a match nearly five years ago.

Mark Wynn launched civil proceedings against the force following his arrest during the game against Derby County at the Ricoh Arena in 2011.

Police compensate fan wrongful arrest

Mark Wynn has won a five-figure pay-out against West Midlands Police.

He accused West Midlands Police of malicious arrest, false imprisonment and assault.

Details of the case, which was settled out of court at the end of last year, have only just been made public.

Mark, 50, said: “The whole thing’s been a nightmare. It’s been a hard hard slog. I’m glad it’s over.

“I’ve been to a few away games since, but I don’t feel safe going up to the Ricoh any more.”

In September 2011, Mark and his then 14-year-old son were watching the Sky Blues take on Derby.

At the time Coventry City fans were unhappy with the club’s owners – and at the match Mark felt police were dealing with protesting fans in a heavy-handed way.

After asking an officer for his badge number, events escalated with Mark being arrested and taken to a holding cell, where he says he was assaulted by an officer while handcuffed on the floor.

Mark was taken to court where he was convicted of a public order offence and given a football banning order (FBO).

But with guidance from the Football Supporters’ Federation (FSF) and Melanie Cooke at Football Law Associates, Mark successfully appealed his conviction.

He then launched civil proceedings against West Midlands Police.

In a statement Chief Inspector Brian Carmichael from West Midlands Police’s Professional Standards Department, said: “An internal investigation was launched following the complaint and the officer in question appeared before a misconduct panel where he received a final written warning.

“An out-of-court financial settlement was later agreed with Mr Wynn.”

Amanda Jacks, of the FSF, said: “While Mark’s account makes for concerning and troubling reading, we should point out that comparatively few football fans suffer like this at the hands of the police.

“We are happy that Mark got a successful outcome – it serves as a reminder that it’s critical supporters to come us for advice.”

Mark’s solicitor Lochlinn Parker claimed senior officers had tried to bury details of the incident.

Mark said: “The police will try and cover up their wrong doing and for them it’s about damage limitation.

“The police will never learn until they become open and transparent.”

notice: Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author(s).


Tagged with: | |

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *